13 October 2008

Moving,

I still have a lot more to pack, but I'm beginning to get excited about my new place in the city. It will offer me a slightly different perspective--one that doesn't include having tiny, tiny windows and a ceiling I can touch.

What's interesting is that as much as I promised myself I wouldn't collect new stuff, I did. I have more books, more cooking implements and and an interesting record player.

I also have some things that I thought I could get rid of, but I can't because they have strange sentimental value. There's this beautiful red hat that I don't wear because I think too much of the person who gave it to me when I put it on, but I refuse to give away.. There are shoes that are adorable, but cause blisters, there is my great grandmother's apron that she liked to wear in the 1950s and there is the luggage for that trip I kept meaning to take, but it never happened. Circumstances.

I have a lot of memories associated with this little place in Columbia Heights and when I finally leave it, I can honestly say it was a great first foray into the city. No one ever stole my fed ex packages , it was mostly quiet but never boring and I learned quite a bit about myself.

I guess it's time to change my dwelling, keep my subscriptions to Dwell and Architectural Digest and start planning the layout of the new place and then think about what comes next.

7 comments:

Essentially Me said...

You can never have too many cooking implements!! Good luck with the move!

Anonymous said...

you also happen to have one particularly awesome cooking implement..


K

cs said...

So what part of the city are you landing in, or are you saving that for a future post?

Anonymous said...

yay!! fresh starts!!
im a little jealous...
xoxo

alot, alot said...

Moving tunes for the move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzEYCqJdKYw

Hope it all goes well.

Dexter Colt said...

I hate moving only slightly less than I hate staying in one place too long. But, with your subscriptions to Architectural Digest and Dwell I am sure you'll have everything looking stellar.

When's the first party?

Anonymous said...

EM, Thanks, girlie!

K, I do. The KitchenAid Mixer already has a special place in the kitchen.

Cuff, I'm off to the edge of Columbia Heights into the land of Petworth. I'm a pioneer (not really).

SB, Haha. Your place is the BEST. I'm stealing design ideas.

Alot, thanks. We have to catch up soon!

Dexter, I think that the first party will take place in November. If I invite you, you had better come! Please!